I don’t know who these people are, or even what they did. But I love them. And you will too…
• This week’s ‘Martin Amis pisses someone off’ article is brought to you by… your grandfather?
• Has the ever-growing popularity of the Young Adult genre sucked the life out of any and all literary-book-to-screen adaptations?
• Previous Orange Prize winner Lionel Shriver wins Orange of Oranges award, complains about winning and calls Orange Prize ‘dumb’ in acceptance speech. Nice.
• The most cringeworthy article you’ll read all week: “Stieg Larsson’s being ironic, but generally ‘girl’ book titles demean women.”
• And speaking of the late Mr. Larsson, the National Library of Sweden has acquired two brand new manuscripts. Unfortunately for fans, the manuscripts were written in the 1970’s. By a teenage Steig. And are less than five pages long. Mighty fine work there, Sweden…
• Book burning is never a good idea.
• Genetically engineered supertrees grow three times faster than your average eucalypt, are resistant to freezing temperatures – oh, and did I mention? They are ‘highly dangerous’. You all thought I was mad – but believe me: vegetarians will be the first to be devoured come the inevitable uprising.
• Oh yeah. It’s Bookshelfporn.com. Oh yeah.
• It’s the magical recurring newspaper!